- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/2 cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- pickled jalapeños for garnish
- salt & pepper
- shredded cheese for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
- Heat a dutch oven (or any other large pot) on medium high heat.
- When hot, add olive oil.
- After the oil gets hot add the onions, green pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add vinegar.
- Cook for a few minutes then add beef, pork, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, jalapeño, and garlic.
- When beef is brown and onions are translucent, add refried beans, kidney beans (with liquid), green chilis, diced tomatoes (with liquid) and salsa.
- Mix together well and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, bring down to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 2 hours, stirring about every 15 minutes.
- Taste the chili along the way and add more spices to taste.
- Add more salt and pepper.
- To serve, garnish with a small dollop of sour cream, a tablespoon of cheddar and a pickled jalapeños to taste.